Guided by respected journalistic standards, the principle of fairness, the quest for truth, a commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and an abiding admiration for the independent spirit of the Berkshires, The Berkshire Edge offers in-depth local news reports and features, perspectives on the arts, wide-ranging commentary, and a comprehensive calendar of events – all written, illustrated, and, in some cases performed, with wit, intelligence, insight and humor.
1. Second homers beware! The Great Barrington Selectboard is considers raising property taxes for out-of-town property owners, lowering them for full-time residents (and how will they determine the difference?):
2. We have the latest weekly update on the COVID19 outbreak in Berkshire County. A 2x increase in new cases:
3. Speaking of COVID, Dr. Richard Kessin, a microbiologist at Columbia University and a resident of Lakeville, Conn., has written an analysis of where we are with the pandemic. “So many sick children and adults that the medical system has still been overwhelmed,” he writes:
4. Great Barrington is creating free public wifi access for the downtown:
5. Finally, Great Barrington Selectboard member Ed Abrahams explains what the town is doing to alleviate the affordable housing shortage — at last: