Finally, sanity prevails in the NFL.
Recognizing that it was on the verge of an epic PR crisis, maybe even a mutiny, the league did what it should have done long ago: Put all dictates about the national anthem on hold and agree to work with the players’ union on a policy.
“The NFL and NFLPA reflect the great values of America, which are repeatedly demonstrated by the many players doing extraordinary work in communities across our country to promote equality, fairness and justice,” the two said Thursday night in a rare joint statement.
The stand down came hours after The Associated Press reported that the Miami Dolphins had included protesting during the national anthem on its list of “conduct detrimental to the team.” Under NFL rules, that could draw up to a four-game suspension.
- NFL, players call temporary truce on anthem
- Lane Kiffin says OU QB should go ‘play baseball’
- NFL record predictions: How will each team fare?
- MLB, Billy Bean to meet with Josh Hader
- Brewers players shocked by Hader’s tweets
- What does future hold for soccer in the U.S.?
- OKC to trade Carmelo to Hawks in 3-team deal
- Tebow inspiring the faithful in minor-league home
- Angels’ Ohtani might pitch again this season
- How DNC helped start NBA’s Vegas Summer League
- Tiger misses opportunities in Open first round
- Recruit who used anti-gay slur loses scholarship
- Addition of Jesse Chavez might just be the start for Cubs (July 20, 2018, 2:18 AM ET)
- Manny Machado blockbuster makes Dodgers the NL’s team to beat (July 20, 2018, 1:23 AM ET)
- Cubs put Brandon Morrow (biceps) on DL, get reliever Jesse Chavez (July 20, 2018, 1:03 AM ET)
- Heyward helps Cubs beat Cardinals 9-6 in return from break (July 19, 2018, 11:55 PM ET)
- Dodgers set to debut Machado vs. Brewers (July 19, 2018, 11:41 PM ET)
- Nationals hope Strasburg’s return a difference vs. Braves (July 19, 2018, 11:29 PM ET)
- Indians get Brad Hand from Padres in deal for Francisco Mejia (July 19, 2018, 11:26 PM ET)
- Cards starting fresh against Cubs (July 19, 2018, 11:25 PM ET)
- Bregman, Astros begin second half against Angels (July 19, 2018, 10:41 PM ET)
- Mariners aim to regain momentum vs. White Sox (July 19, 2018, 10:35 PM ET)
- Rockies, Diamondbacks meet in significant NL West series (July 19, 2018, 10:23 PM ET)
- Giants hope for a healthier Posey vs. A’s (July 19, 2018, 10:21 PM ET)
- Royals starter Duffy hopes to improve at home vs. Twins (July 19, 2018, 10:11 PM ET)
- Josh Hader to rejoin Brewers for first time since insensitive tweets surfaced (July 19, 2018, 10:11 PM ET)
- Surging Pirates meet improving Reds (July 19, 2018, 10:09 PM ET)
- Forecaster: Hitting and stolen base matchup ratings for fantasy baseball (July 19, 2018, 10:08 PM ET)
- Indians want to pick up pace after break starting vs. Rangers (July 19, 2018, 10:05 PM ET)
- If NASCAR can race a Charlotte road course, maybe Cup at Eldora isn’t as crazy as it sounds(July 19, 2018, 12:16 PM ET)
- Local companies featured on DiBenedetto’s #32 at New Hampshire (July 19, 2018, 11:54 AM ET)
- #32 NASCAR Team News and Links (July 19, 2018, 11:53 AM ET)
- Tony Stewart ramps up lobbying for Cup Series race at Eldora Speedway (July 19, 2018, 1:06 AM ET)
- Chase Briscoe wins overtime shootout in Truck Series race at Eldora (July 19, 2018, 12:43 AM ET)