The Sharon Playhouse is proud to announce our inaugural 10-minute New Play/Musical Festival for the summer of 2021.
The Writers Playground Festival is committed to giving the talented writers, performers, directors and technicians in the Northwest Corner of Connecticut as well as the neighboring communities in New York and Massachusetts a platform to showcase their talents in their own backyard and see their visions realized. We also hope to empower people of all ages to use their voice and creativity as vehicles for self expression.
Submissions will be accepted in four categories:
- Plays (written by individuals 18 years of age or younger)
- Musicals (written by individuals 18 years of age or younger)
- Plays (written by individuals 19 years of age and older)
- Musicals (written by individuals 19 years of age and older)
Submission Guidelines for the Writers Playground are as follows:
- Submissions must come from writers with an address within 50 miles of the Sharon Playhouse (49 Amenia Rd, Sharon CT 06069)
- Any play or musical that is submitted must come directly from the original playwright/lyricist/composer.
- Works that have been previously fully produced will not be accepted. Works that have had readings will be accepted.
- Plays/Musicals with more than 9 people will not be considered at this time.
- Each submission must be one that can be fully performed in less than 15 minutes.
- If 19 and above and you have a resume (theatrical or otherwise), please include it with your submission.
- Submissions should be sent as a PDF.
- Only one submission per individual.
- Playwrights must be available for rehearsals (if not in person then by Skype, Zoom, phone or email) and use this as an opportunity to continue to refine their work.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
All applicants must register and complete our Google Form Submission Form here:
Please include the following information in a PDF, not in the body of your email. Complete submission packages must include:
A copy of the Play or Musical.
Character breakdown (please include total number of characters);
Time and place of the play;
Synopsis (no longer than 1 page);
The development history of the Play or Musical
IF SUBMITTING A MUSICAL:
- Please include a demo recording of at least two of the songs with an explanation of where they fit in the story.
Submissions will be accepted in one of two ways (choose one):
- Email your submission materials as PDF (MP3s for songs) to firstname.lastname@example.org
IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAIL COMPLETE SUBMISSIONS
Mail your submission materials to:
The Sharon Playhouse
ATTN: Writers Playground
PO Box 1187
Sharon, CT 06069
We will confirm receipt of all submissions. If you are mailing in your submission, and have no email, please include a phone number so we can confirm receipt of your submission.
If you send via email, we will reply to your email to confirm receipt.
THE SELECTION PROCESS:
All submissions will be reviewed by a selection panel comprised of local artists, theater advocates and staff members of the Sharon Playhouse. A smaller selection panel will choose 6-8 new works (3-4 plays and 3-4 musicals) from each age category. The selected works will be fully produced and presented to the public as part of a weekend festival during our 2021 summer season at the Sharon Playhouse.
Again, be aware that submission materials will NOT be returned. Any submissions not chosen for the festival will be destroyed to protect your copyright. Chosen new works are requested to include the following credit on all future productions: “Originally developed at The Sharon Playhouse.”
For consideration in our Festival we are accepting submissions through May 1, 2021.
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com