The Berkshire Edge LLC is a locally owned, regional publication. Our goal is to provide – regularly and in depth – content that truly reflects the life, interests and aspirations of this unusually rich and vibrant community.
Guided by respected journalistic standards, the principle of fairness, the quest for truth, a commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and an abiding admiration for the independent spirit of the Berkshires, The Berkshire Edge offers in-depth local news reports and features, perspectives on the arts, wide-ranging commentary, and a comprehensive calendar of events – all written, illustrated, and, in some cases performed, with wit, intelligence, insight and humor.
1. Great Barrington Selectboard is seeking limit the conversion of the town into a collection of rental properties:
2. Dennis Powell, president of the Berkshire County Chapter of the NAACP, has written an essay on what he perceives as the erosion of equal rights for all citizens, especially citizens of color:
3. From our magazine, Berkshire Calendar Magazine, we have a roundup that we call “Season of Light” — a guide to where in the Berkshires to see displays of seasonal lights — some of them quite spectacular:
4. Two years ago Samya Rose Stamo of Sheffield was killed in the Kenya when her flight crashed. She was in Africa promoting health for women. In her memory her family has established a fellowship for women seeking to pursue unique health projects:
5. Our feature writer Sheela Clary, who’s also had a career as a teacher, has written a fascinating profile of a student struggling over the decision of whether to continue in higher education:https://theberkshireedge.com/equity-access-and-high-expectations-for-all-a-students-perspective/
6. Finally, the Massachusetts health care system is under a good deal of stress due to the COVID19 pandemic, and in response Gov. Charlie Baker has issued some guidance to hospitals to minimize non-essential procedures in order to preserve space for those who are afflicted by the pandemic: