The Berkshire Edge LLC is a locally owned, regional publication. Our goal is to provide – regularly and in depth – content that truly reflects the life, interests and aspirations of this unusually rich and vibrant community.
Guided by respected journalistic standards, the principle of fairness, the quest for truth, a commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and an abiding admiration for the independent spirit of the Berkshires, The Berkshire Edge offers in-depth local news reports and features, perspectives on the arts, wide-ranging commentary, and a comprehensive calendar of events – all written, illustrated, and, in some cases performed, with wit, intelligence, insight and humor.
It is the dog days of August, as they say— with few big news happenings but lots of routine items:
1. And here’s a measure of what I’m talking about. Infrastructure… a story about the painting of the “brown” bridge red:
2. From Jim Sleeper, a resident of Lakeville, Connecticut, and a national correspondent for Newsday, comes an essay on the debacle in Afghanistan:
3. In response to the ongoing COVID plague Berkshire Hills Regional School District has announced its mask mandates for students and vaccination requirements for staff:https://theberkshireedge.com/berkshire-hills-issues-masking-mandate-for-students-and-vaccination-requirement-for-staff/
4. Meanwhile, despite the pandemic, we have theatre and dance and music. Here’s a sampling:At Berkshire Theatre Group we have “Nina Simone: Four Women” — like by our critic Peter Bergmanhttps://theberkshireedge.com/theater-review-btgs-nina-simone-four-women-tells-the-stories-behind-the-songs/
At the Ancram (N.Y.) Opera House “The Plein Air Plays” — a series of one-acts — is intriguing, writes reviewer Dan Dwyer:https://theberkshireedge.com/theater-review-plein-air-plays-at-ancram-opera-house/
5. The state of Massachusetts has awarded Great Barrington a grant of $126,000 to complete a trail system north and east of downtown:
6. Finally, we have a profile of Damon Groves, the piano tuner who keeps all the instruments at Tanglewood on their proper sharps and flats:https://theberkshireedge.com/tanglewoods-lead-piano-technician-damon-groves/