The Berkshire Edge LLC is a locally owned, regional publication. Our goal is to provide – regularly and in depth – content that truly reflects the life, interests and aspirations of this unusually rich and vibrant community.
Guided by respected journalistic standards, the principle of fairness, the quest for truth, a commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and an abiding admiration for the independent spirit of the Berkshires, The Berkshire Edge offers in-depth local news reports and features, perspectives on the arts, wide-ranging commentary, and a comprehensive calendar of events – all written, illustrated, and, in some cases performed, with wit, intelligence, insight and humor.
1. Of course, everyone wants to know whether schools will reopen, given the risks of the COVID19 pandemic…In the Berkshires, the private schools, at least, are looking toward opening with in-person classes:
2. Despite the stay-at-a-distance summer, some things remains the same, almost — such as James Taylor appearing at Tanglewood on Parade — a virtual parade:
And speaking of Tanglewood, Tanglewood is producing a series of online video performances, one of which is pianist Conrad Tao’ concert from last August. Our reviewer David Edwards recommends it:
3. Our correspondent Victor Feldman wrote an interesting piece about democracy on the run in Hong Kong:
4. And for those who love exploring the natural world we have Chapter 52 of Carolyn Newberger’s “Illuminating the Hidden Forest” in which — very much Henry David Thoreau-like — goe tramping about the forest around her Lenox home, sketch pad in hand, keen eye at the ready:
5. And of the array of events coming up in this abbreviated summer season, one of the more intriguing is a book launch by Tina Packer, founder of Shakespeare and Company in Lenox. She’s teamed up with audiobook publisher (and author and performer Alison Larkin) to produce ‘Tales from Shakespeare,” 10 short stories written by Packer. A reading from the audiobook will take place at Ventfort Hall in Lenox this coming Saturday afternoon:https://theberkshireedge.com/bits-berkshire-bounty-food-drive-compassion-club-for-kids-online-theater-workshop-guerilla-bunny-at-nhff/