The Berkshire Edge LLC is a locally owned, regional publication. Our goal is to provide – regularly and in depth – content that truly reflects the life, interests and aspirations of this unusually rich and vibrant community.
Guided by respected journalistic standards, the principle of fairness, the quest for truth, a commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and an abiding admiration for the independent spirit of the Berkshires, The Berkshire Edge offers in-depth local news reports and features, perspectives on the arts, wide-ranging commentary, and a comprehensive calendar of events – all written, illustrated, and, in some cases performed, with wit, intelligence, insight and humor.
1. Responding to a spike in COVID19 cases, Gov. Charlie Baker issued a new mask-wearing advisory and called up the National Guard to relieve the beleaguered staff at state hospitals:
2. Meantime, the Berkshire Hills Regional School Committee decided against a COVID19 vaccine mandate for students participating in extracurricular activities:
3. In their column, Pedro Pachano and Great Barrington Selectboard member Ed Abrahams discuss the possibility of restoring passenger rail service from the Berkshires to the metropolitan New York area, via the Housatonic RR line from Pittsfield through Canaan, CT… the old New Haven line.
4. Two residents of the hamlet of Housatonic are trying to bring cheer to their village by commemorating the memory of Deb Koffman, whose art gallery and artwork were such a delight to the village:
5. Finally, that icon of family entertainment, Cove Bowling, may have a new life: